Amazing Grace {John Newton}


Hymn LYRICS
Verse1
Amazing grace! How sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch; like me!
I once was lost, but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

Verse 2
’Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,
And grace my fears relieved;
How precious did that grace appear
The hour I first believed!
Verse 3
The Lord hath promised good to me,
His word my hope secures;
He will my shield and portion be
As long as life endures.
Verse4
When we’ve been there ten thousand years,
Bright shining as the sun,
We’ve no less days to sing God’s praise
Than when we first begun.
Message in the Hymn
Verse1
v We were all once an unbeliever; until the call of salvation came to us.

v In our life without Christ; People might look at us with high esteem; but inside of us, there is this confusion we can’t explain.
v In our unbelieving status; we thought we had eyes to see; but in the actual sense; we were spiritually Blind.

Verse 2
v Grace that taught my heart to fear and relieved our Fears
Proverbs 9:10 says "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom…
Ecclesiastes 12:13:…Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man
And Jesus taught: “Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.Matthew 10:28 
v Is the Grace Precious to You and still Precious to you today?

Verse 3
v God has promised us Goodness; what makes it Secured, Sure & Certain to Us, is in his WORD.
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end." {Jer 29:11}
"Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever." {Psalm 23:6}
v God is our shield, defender, protector; from all dangers, evil, diseases, attack & calamity.
"I will say to the LORD, "My refuge and my fortress, My God, in whom I trust!" {Psalm 91:2}
"There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling." {Psalm 91:10}

Verse4
v At the end; There is an unending praise; more than we have ever done.
In summary; God Sometimes uses critical life-threatening circumstances to make us realize that we need Him. We need Him to save us from troubles that we make and guide us to prevent them. God talks to us in many ways. Let us listen to Him before He rattles us by putting us on an unpleasant situation.
History of Amazing Grace
The author of the hymn was, by his own admission, a "wretch."
He was a slave trader, a blasphemer, a rebel, an immoral man, a torturer, and as far from grace as anyone could ever be.
As a boy, John was captivated by the adventure and risk of life on the high seas.
When he was eleven, young John Newton launched into that exciting life of voyaging, sailing, and living his dream. But the dream turned out to be a nightmare.
Later in life he wrote, "I sinned with a high hand,  and I made it my study to tempt and seduce others."
Newton lived a hard life with hard consequences. God got his attention though.
In 1748, Newton’s slave ship was nearly wrecked by an intense storm.
In the tempest, surrounded by crashing waves, cutting winds, creaking timbers, and the cries of onboard slaves, John fell to his knees and pled for mercy, and for grace. God’s grace, which reaches anyone, anywhere, saved a wretch like John Newton.
Newton wrote the song years later while serving as a pastor in Olney, England.

Today, its lyrics still inspire, encourage, and instruct people about the radical reality of God’s amazing grace.

Post a Comment

Add You Comments, Prayer Request, Recommendations, Questions and so on

Previous Post Next Post